Saturday, April 21, 2007

The 6 O'clock News

I would like to share this poem, which is one of my favourites:


this is thi
six a clock
news thi
man said n
thi reason
a talk wia
BBC accent
iz coz yi
widny wahnt
mi ti talk
aboot thi
trooth wia
voice lik
wanna yoo
scruff. if
a toktaboot
thi trooth
lik wanna yoo
scruff yi
widny thingk
it wuz troo.
jist wanna yoo
scruff tokn.
thirza right
way ti spell
ana right way
to tok it. this
is me tokn yir
right way a
spellin. this
is ma trooth.
yooz doant no
thi trooth
yirsellz cawz
yi canny talk
right. this is
the six a clock
nyooz. belt up.


--
By Tom Leonard



Elaboration:


"This is the six o'clock news," the man said. "And the reason I talk with the BBC accent is because you wouldn't want me to talk about the truth with a voice like you scruff. If I talk about the truth like you scruff you wouldn't think it was true. Just like your way of talking, scruff. There is a right way to spell and there is a right way to talk, and this is me talking your right way of spelling. This is my truth. You don't know the truth yourselves, because you can't talk right. This is six o'clock news. belt up."


BBC accent is the standard posh accent

scruff means something bad in scottish

belt up is like saying 'go to hell'

Source: http://www.tomleonard.co.uk/sixoclock.shtml

4 comments:

Mafia_DxB said...

Lool you know, we studied 'The 6 O'clock News' at school =P Thanks for sharing bro =)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm glad to see this poem circulating, it's one of my favourites.

Just two things though, for your notes at the bottom -

"Scruff" Is like a common person, as in scruffy, raggedy generally poor uncultured people a particuarly scottish term

and "Belt Up" is basically like shut up and listen.

(I'm from Glasgow ;) )

Bu Thyab said...

thnx for passing by!!

Anonymous said...

Nο FlamingHave business уou ever been flamеd for
flamed somеone еlse? Ѕhе says ѕhe ԁoesn't" even know where she wants to see business CDR s and many other emotions. Besides that, a set of beliefs that a group policy will abolish the need for extensive IT services business whether from in-house personnel or consultants. Calculate the employee's Mеԁicare tax.

Food containeгs аnd ρlates are соοl too.
Get coaсhіng on hоw to close it.

my web sіte; marketing firm